Pyongyang Maternity Hospital
A large maternity hospital and medical training centre located in Pyongyang. The Pyongyang Maternity Hospital is a North Korean cultural icon that features regularly in the state media. Visitors can take a tour of the facilities.
- Visitors can tour the main complex and the newly-built breast cancer clinic attached to the main building.
Best times to visit
Built in 1978 as a part of the Pyongyang Speed Campaign, which aimed to expand construction of public facilities in the capital.
- A number of foreign babies have been born here.
- Our Warm House (따뜻한 우리 집), a 2000s medical drama shown on Korea Central Television, was set and filmed here. The drama’s theme song, “You are My Love” (너는 나의 사랑), can be seen here.
- Images of the hospital can be seen decorating blankets and other such everyday items. In North Korean state media it functions as a symbol of the warm loving care of North Korea’s leaders towards its people.
- The building’s winged design is said to represent a mother’s embrace. The Okryu Children’s Hospital, constructed across the road, is together with the maternity hospital said to represent the mother and child relationship.
- Wikipedia article on Pyongyang Maternity Hospital: