Okryu Children’s Hospital
A colourfully designed and decorated children’s hospital. Foreign tourists can take a tour of the facilities.
- A good place to learn about North Korea children’s culture through the cartoon characters drawn on the walls and other design features.
Best times to visit
Finished in 2013.
- Across the road from Pyongyang Maternity Hospital. Koreans say this symbolises the mother-child relationship.
- In step with North Korea’s emphasis on the military under its Songun (“military first”) Policy, military-themed toys and pictures can be seen scattered around the hospital.
- The walls are decorated with all kinds of pictures from Korean folk tales and cartoons, to Disney and Winnie the Pooh, and militaristic and nationalistically themed images:
- The outside is decorated with anthropomorphic animal statues, which are commonly seen in North Korea: