Mirae Scientists Street
A high-rise residential district along the banks of the Taedong River featuring some very colourful and interesting architecture, including a building with an atom-shaped design. The apartments are for staff of Kim Chaek University of Technology, thus the street is called “Mirae Scientists Street”.
- Ask your guide about a walk here.
- One of Pyongyang’s Italian restaurants is here. Pizza and pasta—eating here is out of pocket.
Best times to visit
Opened in late 2015.
- The major construction project that was this street was mentioned frequently in the North Korean media during 2014 and 2015.
- The term “Pyongyang Speed” was used to describe the rapid construction of this area. “Pyongyang Speed” is a throwback to a slogan from the 1950s post-war reconstruction Chollima Movement. In the 2010s there’s also been “Masikryong Speed” (Masikryong being the ski resort near Wonsan), and “Mallima Speed” (“man” 만; 萬 means 10,000 miles as opposed to the 1,000 mile horse that is Chollima).
- “Mirae” (미래; 未來) means “future” in Korean.
- Mirae Scientists Street skyscraper apartment blocks:
- Wikipedia article on Mirae Scientists Street:
- Wikipedia article on Kim Chaek University of Technology:
Residential, Architecture, Walk