East Pyongyang No. 1 Middle School
One of the middle schools tourists can visit. Take a tour of the facilities and school history museum, and drop in on a conversational English class and chat with students.
- Some gifts, such as snacks or stationary, for the students could help break the ice. Also come prepared with some funny anecdotes about your country, jokes, or a simple game.
Best times to visit
- Open weekdays.
- East Pyongyang No. 1 Middle School specialises in the training of future scientists. Its students have gone on to compete in the International Mathematics Olympiad and become top scholars.
- East Pyongyang No. 1 Middle School has a sister school relationship with Beijing City No. 5 Middle School in China. In the 1950s, a “Mao Zedong class” was set up in East Pyongyang No 1. Middle School, and a “Kim Il Sung class” set up in Beijing City No. 5 Middle School to celebrate China-North Korea friendship.
- Image gallery of some of the propaganda posters on campus (these are common in North Korean schools):
- Some photos from the school’s history museum: