Choose a Tongil private Tour for the perfect balance of educational and fun
Choose a Private Tour with Tongil Tours and leverage the expertise of the Tongil Tours team to make your tour to North Korea a success. We can arrange holiday tours, as well as academic, governmental, humanitarian, and business delegations. We will work with you to tailor your trip to your exact objectives, while making sure you make best use of your time and budget to come away with fresh understanding, memories, and friendships that will last a lifetime.
It is our desire to help travellers experience and learn about North Korea’s people and culture firsthand to allow for greater cross-cultural understanding and exchange. Thus, we promise to offer the best quality and highest degree of cultural immersion with our tours.
Included in a Tongil all-inclusive Private Tour
3 meals a day (excl. out of pocket restaurants)
Entry fees for attractions (excl. out of pocket fees)
All accomodation during your travel in the DPRK.
Two local guides. Choose from a range of language expertises: English, Chinese, Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Arabic, and more
Driver and vehicle—all transportation in the DPRK
Pre-trip information package and pre-departure briefing
If your group consists of 16 people or more, we can send one of our Western guides to accompany your group. Our Western guides all speak fluent Korean and have academic backgrounds in Korean, and will bring vital depth, insight and fun to your tour experience. If your group consists of less than 16 people we can send one of our Western guides with your group at additional cost.
As with our group tours, we will include a free book on North Korean history, culture and politics for each traveller
The ability to tailor your own special itinerary. You can base your tour on one of the templates in our catalogue, or give us your own special requests to make the tour that best fits your interests
Please note that tours to the Northeast region (Rajin Sonbong/Rason and North Hamgyong Province) use a separate price table. Inquire for more details.
See our North Korea travel guide for ideas on places to visit and things to do. If you have any suggestions that aren’t in the guide then feel free to contact us with them. The beauty of private tours is that you can entirely custom tailor the tour to fit your needs.If you would like to organise a tour around a specific theme, such as art and architecture, politics, sports, education, history, hiking, aviation, or anything else, we can make it possible. Just let us know of your needs. Please note that we generally need all details sorted and payment sent by one month before departure at the latest.
Check out flight and train timetables to make sure your trip’s proposed dates fit around transport schedules.
Book a tour with Tongil! START HERE: Contact us with a wish list of your ideas, dates, and group size here. We’ll take things from there!
Budget and Standard Tours
Budget and standard tours differ according to your Pyongyang accommodation (see the “Pyongyang Hotels” section in our North Korea Travel Guide for more detailed information on hotels).
Budget hotels: Changgwangsan Hotel, Chongnyon (Youth) Hotel, Sosan Hotel, Ryanggang Hotel.
Standard hotels: Koryo Hotel, Potonggang Hotel, Yanggak Island International Hotel.
|Group Size||Budget Cost per Night||Standard Cost per Night
|Standard Cost per Night
(Koryo and Potonggang)
- Flight between Beijing and Pyongyang with Air Koryo (고려항공): €370 each way, €640 return
- Flight between Shanghai and Pyongyang with Air Koryo (고려항공): €370 each way or €675 return
- Flight between Dandong and Pyongyang with Air Koryo (고려항공): €155 each way or €275 return
- Flight between Shenyang and Pyongyang with Air Koryo (고려항공): €425 each way or €750 return
- Train between Beijing and Pyongyang: €170 for hard sleeper (6 per compartment) each way, €235 for soft sleeper (4 per compartment) each way
- Train between Dandong (on the Chinese border with the DPRK) and Pyongyang: €120 each way
- DPRK Visa: €65 – normally issued in Beijing, but can be issued elsewhere- inquire for more details.
- DMZ visit: €20
- Kumgang Mountains entry: €50
- Single room: €50 per night (doesn’t apply for single travellers)
- Hotel upgrades outside of Pyongyang (eg Hyangsan Hotel in Mount Myohyang, Majon Hotel or Masikryong Hotel)- contact us for more details.
- Room upgrade (e.g. suite in the Yanggak or Koryo Hotels).
- Domestic flights or trains (see below).
- Out of pocket expenses (see list).
- We can send a Korean-speaking Western guide to accompany your group. All of our guides have at least masters level degrees in Korean studies. Inquire for more details.
- Contextual lectures from academic experts (see our list of academic partners) on whatever North Korea-related topic you require. Inquire for more details.
- Pyongyang – Orang (Chongjin) flight: €125 each way or €190 round trip.
Calculating the cost:
So for example, if you and two friends were to set up a 5 night tour staying in the Yanggak Island Hotel while in Pyongyang, entering the country by plane from Beijing and departing by train, and visiting the DMZ during the course of your visit, here’s how it would look:
265×5 (Yanggak group size 3- 5 nights) + 370 (Air Koryo one way ticket) + 170 (Pyongyang-Beijing train hard sleeper) = €1,865 per person. Extras= 20 (DMZ visit) + 65 (DPRK visa)= €85.
With our educational focus and academic backgrounds, we are well qualified and keen to assist groups with organising a study tour to North Korea, whether the group be a school or university group or otherwise.
We are able to help with:
- Itinerary customisation to meet your needs.
- Exchange with local schools, universities, and their students and academics.
- The preparation of a reading list of academic materials on North Korea.
- Contextual lectures from academic experts (see our list of academic partners) on whatever North Korea-related topic you require.
- We can send a Korean-speaking Western guide to accompany your group. All of our guides have at least masters level degrees in Korean studies.
Deluxe tours allow for accommodation in the DPRK’s top tier hotels, upgraded vehicle and gourmet meals.
Deluxe accommodation, Pyongyang: Potonggang Hotel (higher tier rooms than standard), Gobangsan Hotel, Moranbong Hotel.
Deluxe accommodation outside of Pyongyang: Hyangsan Hotel, Majon Hotel, Masikryong Hotel.
Please inquire with us for prices.